As a designated acceptance facility for the U.S. State Department, the Office of the Clerk of the Circuit Court for Allegany County can assist you in obtaining a passport. Copies of the application are available in the Clerk's Office or you may download the application at the U.S. State Department's web site. The application must be signed before an agent (a Deputy Clerk of the Circuit Court). You must appear in person and present:
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship (one of these)*
- One copy of a photo taken by a certified photographer. The photo must measure 2" x 2." These pictures are made to withstand high temperatures that are used when passports are processed.
- Proof of Identity (one of these)*
- Application fee. A check in the amount of $110.00 (16 and older) or $80.00 (15 and younger), made payable to "US Department of State."
- Processing fee. A separate check or cash in the amount of $25.00 payable to the Clerk's Office for processing the application.
- Provide a Social Security Number.
Section 6039E of the IRS Code of 1986 requires that passport applicants
provide this information.
- Provide a copy of the front and back of your driver's license.
a. Previous U.S. Passport
b. Certified birth certificate issued by the city, county or state (A certified birth certificate has a registrar's raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office.) If you do not have a certified copy, contact the Clerk's Office for instructions on how to obtain one.
c. Consular Report of Birth Abroad
d. Naturalization Certificate
e. Certificate of Citizenship
Vending machine photos are not acceptable.
a. Previous U.S. passport
b. Naturalization Certificate
c. Certificate of Citizenship
d. Current, valid driver's license
e. Government ID: city, state or federal
f. Military ID: military and dependents
g. Work ID: must be currently employed by the company
h. Student ID: must be currently enrolled
i. Merchant Marines card: also known as a "Seamen's" or "Z" card
j. Pilot or flight attendant ID
Your application will be sent to Passport Services for processing. You will receive your passport within 6 weeks via first class mail. Your passport will be mailed to the mailing address you provided on your application.
*If none of these are available, please see the U.S. State Department's web site for information on alternative Proof of U.S. Citizenship and alternative Proof of Identity