July 15, 2015
Please review the below important milestones as our FY15 year-end closeout moves further along:
- AY2016 Vouchers – All vouchers (whether PO or non-PO related) applicable to AY2016 may now be entered into GEARS. Please remember that the accounting date should default to the current date of entry and the distribution lines should contain AY2016.
- AY2015 Voucher Processing – No further vouchering should be done applicable to AY2015. If you have any invoices that did not get entered, please let me or DBF Accounts Payable staff know and we will advise you on how best to move forward.
- Express PO Navigation – Access to create Express PO’s has once again be enabled to users that previously had this functionality and PO’s can now be created. (Access had been temporarily disabled to prevent PO’s from being created during our restricted timeframe.)
- Contract Listing – The Department of Procurement, Contract, and Grants Administration has completed the FY16 Contract Listing. It can be found under the Tip Sheet section of the GEARS site, alongside the tip sheet for Creating an Express PO. As usual, when creating your Express PO, please be sure to use the exact vendor ID as displayed on this listing. Also, it is recommended that you create Express PO’s only when they are required as shown on the listing or as your court/department deems it is necessary. Remember, be sure to use the most current version of the Creating an Express PO tip sheet for guidance as it was updated on June 8.
- AY2015 and earlier PO’s on hold – All Open PO’s from AY2015 and earlier years with balances remaining have been temporarily placed on hold. This is required to allow a thorough review to determine PO’s that will be encumbered or accrued and to allow the selected PO’s to be rolled forward to FY16. Any remaining PO’s that are not encumbered or accrued will be closed. It is anticipated that this will take approximately two to three weeks. A notification will be sent when vouchering can be resumed against these PO’s with instructions for vouchering. In addition, individual court and department listings of encumbered and accrued PO’s will be distributed.
- AY2015 Voucher Status – Please review the Voucher Activity Inquiry for any AY2015 vouchers that are still at the local level for approval or other action. These vouchers need to be finalized for year-end. A screenshot of the page setup to get the required results is shown below. Please enter your own expenditure PCA (60091 is just an example). Each voucher number displayed will need to be reviewed to determine why it is still not in a completed status, i.e. pending approval, pending budget check, match exceptions. There are other searches that you may utilize, but this one should give you all of your vouchers with possible issues.
I would like to take a moment to commend all of our GEARS users on your efforts thus far for a smooth year-end closeout. I know that it is a lot to read and keep current on, but we are moving along nicely. We have made great improvement from our first year-end close in GEARS (just last year)!
As always, please feel free to contact me or the help desk if you should have any questions or need further assistance.
Tammy Sitar, CPA
Deputy Director Budget and Finance
GEARS, Project Director
580 Taylor Avenue, Bldg A-4
Annapolis, MD 21401