Four yearly requirements for Maryland attorneys
To maintain a license to practice law in Maryland, attorneys must fulfull four compliance requirements every year:
- Register with and maintain current contact information in AIS. Maintaining your information includes confirming your Tax Identification Number.
- Pay annual Client Protection Fund (CPF) assessment.
- Report annually on pro bono activity.
- Report annually on IOLTA accounts.
Failure to pay the CPF assessment or to timely complete pro bono or IOLTA reporting may result in your temporary suspension or decertification from the practice of law. For more information on the requirements and for guidance on reinstatement, see the attorney compliance requirements web page.
Upcoming important dates
For a list of all 2019-2020 dates, see Notices web page.
- June 1: Attorneys must register with AIS.
- July 10 (on or before): AIS-generated email sent to attorneys with compliance information.
- August 31: Deadline for submitting notarized Affidavit of Inactive/Retired Status for 2020.
- September 10 (on or about): A $25 late fee assessed to attorneys who have not paid assessments. Pro bono and IOLTA reports due.
Last updated: May 2019