In addition to the fees listed below, a surcharge of $40.00 is charged for every instrument recorded in the land records.
Exceptions are as follows:
- Power of Attorney
- Request for Notice of Sale (Foreclosure)
- Homeowner's Association Depository
Land Record Fees-Real Property Article, 3-601, in part as follows:
- In general
- In this subsection, "page" means one side of a leaf not larger than 8½ inches wide by 14 inches long, or any portion of it.
- Before recording an instrument among the land or financing records, a clerk shall collect:
- $10.00 for a release nine (9) pages or less in length; [this does not apply to a termination of a financing statement]
- $20.00 for any other instrument nine (9) pages or less in length
- Except as provided in item 1 above, $20.00 for an instrument, regardless of length, involving solely a principal residence.
- $75 any other instrument ten (10) pages or more in length.
Fees for Other Land Related Documents
- $15.00 for a Request for Notice of Sale (Foreclosure)
- $5.00 per page for plats of any kind
- $50.00 for Homeowner's Association Depository (initial filing)
- $5.00 per page up to $25.00 for amendments to Homeowner's Association Depository
State Recordation Tax
Recordation Tax is applied to any instrument that transfers an interest in real property or that creates a security interest in real or personal property. In Frederick County, Recordation Tax is collected by the Frederick County Treasurer's Office. Their office is located at 30 North Market Street, Frederick, MD 21701. The recordation tax rate for Frederick County is $7.00 for every $500 of consideration. (See Tax Property Article, §12-108, for exemption from tax.) For further inquires regarding State Recordation Tax, you may contact the Treasurer's Office at 301-600-6718.
State Transfer Tax
The tax is applied to instruments that transfer an interest in real property (deed, lease, easement, contract, etc.). The tax is one half of 1 % (0.5%) of the consideration, except for deeds to a first time MARYLAND home buyer, in which case the tax is one fourth of 1 % (0.25%). See Tax Property Article, §13-207 for exemptions from tax.
County Transfer Tax
At this time, Frederick County does not impose a County Transfer Tax.
Except for State Recordation Taxes, all recording fees, surcharges, and transfer taxes are collected by the Clerk of the Circuit Court at the time of recording. Checks should be made payable to the Clerk of the Circuit Court for Frederick County.
State Recordation Taxes are collected by the Frederick County Treasurer prior to presentation to the Clerk of the Circuit Court for recording. Make checks payable to the Treasurer of Frederick County.
Please contact the Recording Department at 301-600-1965 if you have any further questions.