NATURE AND PURPOSE
The Legislative Committee Workgroup to Study Judicial Selection will perform a fair, balanced and exhaustive examination of the various methods of selecting and retaining trial judges throughout the country and make recommendations based on that study.
The Workgroup will:
- Perform a study that will include, but not be limited to: a current academic literature and research review including sources such as the Brennan Center, the National Center for State Courts, the Institute for the Advancement of the American Legal System; the American Bar Association; academia; and, advocacy materials on all sides of the issue.
- Review the current and historical judicial complement in Maryland based on gender, race and ethnicity.
- Hold public hearings for stakeholders and citizens on all sides of the issue; schedule meetings with subject matter experts.
ANTICIPATED WORK PRODUCT
- A report on the current state of judicial elections and the findings of the workgroup based on academic examination, public testimony and discussions with subject matter experts.
- Recommendations for change or to retain the status quo to the Legislative Committee of the Judicial Council.
September 1, 2022 – September 1, 2023