The following information may only pertain to marriage license information for HARFORD COUNTY. You MUST contact the County/City location where you plan to marry or have been married for their specific requirements and information.
Licensing Office Location
Licensing Department (across from the Circuit Courthouse)
7 West Courtland Street
Bel Air, MD 21014
410-638-3489 or 410-638-3586
Office Hours – 8:30am to 3:45pm Monday thru Friday
(Closed Weekends and State Holidays)
- Marriage License/Copies - 8:30am to 3:45pm
- Late Night additional hours- First Monday of each month open until 6:00pm.
How to Apply
- Only one party needs to apply.
- There is a $50 non-refundable fee, payable by cash, check, money order, or credit card.
- A license is not effective until 6:00 a.m. on the second calendar day after the license is issued.
- The license is issued the same day you apply, and after the waiting period it is valid for 6 months (you must be married within 6 months or the license will be void).
The marriage application work sheet is provided for your convenience. Complete and bring with you for an in-person marriage application.
- Valid photo identification (driver's license, passport or state issued id)
- Full names
- Age at time of application (if under the age of 18 – Proof of age is required. See Marriage of Minors below)
- State/Country of Birth
- Social Security Number (mandatory per code)
- Previous Marriages – date for each divorce or death of spouse. If divorced within the last 6 months, a copy of the divorce decree must be presented.
If you are NOT a resident of Harford County but getting married in Harford County AND unable to apply for a Harford County marriage license in person, you may apply using a Non-Resident Marriage Application.
Marriage of Minors (under age 18)
- Proof of age - must be an original or certified copy of birth record or passport. (Driver’s License is not a valid proof of age.)
- 16 or 17 years old must present either a notarized written consent from the parent or legal guardian, or a certificate from a licensed physician or nurse practitioner. Certification from the physician or nurse practitioner must be written on his/her letterhead stating the physician or nurse practitioner has physically examined the woman to be married and positively determined she is pregnant or has given birth to a child. The certificate must be signed by the licensed physician or nurse practitioner. A nurse or assistant cannot sign the certificate. A birth certificate stating the woman has given birth to a child is sufficient.
- 15 years old must have a notarized written consent from the parent or legal guardian AND a certificate from a licensed physician or nurse practitioner. Certification from the physician or nurse practitioner must be written on his/her letterhead stating the physician or nurse practitioner has physically examined the woman to be married and positively determined she is pregnant or has given birth to a child. The certificate must be signed by the licensed physician or nurse practitioner. A nurse or assistant cannot sign the certificate. A birth certificate stating the woman has given birth to a child is sufficient.
- 14 years and younger may not marry.
Civil Ceremonies are offered on a limited basis by appointment only. Ceremony times will be offered Monday through Friday and alternating Wednesday evenings. Please contact the licensing office for availability.
- Valid identification for both parties to be married is required (driver's license, state issued id or passport) providing full names, addresses and ages.
- Civil ceremonies are performed at the Ceremonial Room located at 7 W. Courtland Street, Bel Air, Maryland (across from the Circuit courthouse).
- There is a $25.00 non-refundable fee, payable by Visa, Mastercard or Discover only, at the time of the ceremony.
- Ceremonies must be scheduled in advance after application is made. Guest limit of eight is strictly enforced. This number of guests includes the parties getting married and any children (regardless of age). Any additional guests will not be admitted..
- Marriage Record Correction - Correction to Marriage Records may be requested in writing along with supporting documentation (example - birth record). For convenience, a Correction Request Form can be completed and mailed to our office.
- Certified Copies – Only available for Harford County Marriage Records
- Certified copies may be requested in person, by mail, email, fax or phone. Cost for certified copies are $5.50 each. Please complete the Request for Certified Copy of Harford County Marriage License. Acceptable forms of payments are cash, check, money order or credit card (Visa, Mastercard or Discover).
- In person requests may be made at the licensing office at 7 West Courtland Street.
- Email requests to email@example.com with the credit card payment form.
- Mail requests are sent to the Clerk of the Circuit Court for Harford County, Attn: Licensing Department, 20 W. Courtland Street, Bel Air, MD 21014.
- Fax requests to 410-836-7615.
- Phone requests should be directed to 410-638-3489 or 3586.
- Information needed for all requests:
- Names of both parties
- Date of Marriage
- Return address for mailing copies
For further information on obtaining a marriage license or questions about civil ceremonies, email firstname.lastname@example.org.