The following information may only pertain to marriage license information for HARFORD COUNTY. You MUST contact the County/City location where you plan to marry or have been married for their specific requirements and information.
Licensing Department (across from the Circuit courthouse)
7 West Courtland Street
Bel Air, MD 21014
410-638-3489 or 410-638-3586
Office Hours – 8:30am to 4:00pm
(Monday thru Friday) (Closed Weekends and State Holidays)
- Marriage License/Copies - 8:30am to 3:45pm
Additional Times - First Monday of each month until 6:00pm
- Civil Ceremonies (By Appointment only) - 9:00am to 12pm and 1:00pm - 1:30pm
See Civil Ceremonies below for Additional Times
How to Apply
- If you are being married in Harford County, you must apply in Harford County.
- Only one party needs to apply.
- There is a $50 non-refundable fee, payable by cash, check, money order, or credit card.
- You must apply at least 48 hours prior to the wedding ceremony.
- The license is issued the same day you apply, can only be used in Harford County, valid for 6 months (you must
be married within 6 months or the license will be voided).
The marriage application work sheet is provided for your convenience. It is helpful if completed before applying for a marriage license and brought in for the application process.
- Valid identification (driver's license, passport or birth certificate)
- Full names
- Age at time of application (if under the age of 18 – Proof of age is required. See Marriage of Minors below)
- State/Country of Birth
- Social Security Number (mandatory)
- Previous Marriages – date for each divorce or death of spouse. If divorced within the last 6 months, a copy of the divorce decree must be presented.
If you are NOT a resident of Harford County but getting married in Harford County AND unable to apply for a Harford County marriage license in person, you may apply using a Non-Resident Marriage Application.
Marriage of Minors (under age 18)
- Proof of age - must be an original or certified copy of birth record or passport. (Driver’s License is not a valid proof of age.)
- 16 or 17 years old must present either a notarized written consent from the parent or legal guardian, or a certificate from a licensed physician or nurse practitioner. Certification from the physician or nurse practitioner must be written on his/her letterhead stating the physician or nurse practitioner has physically examined the woman to be married and positively determined she is pregnant or has given birth to a child. The certificate must be signed by the licensed physician or nurse practitioner. A nurse or assistant cannot sign the certificate. A birth certificate stating the woman has given birth to a child is sufficient.
- 15 years old must have a notarized written consent from the parent or legal guardian AND a certificate from a licensed physician or nurse practitioner. Certification from the physician or nurse practitioner must be written on his/her letterhead stating the physician or nurse practitioner has physically examined the woman to be married and positively determined she is pregnant or has given birth to a child. The certificate must be signed by the licensed physician or nurse practitioner. A nurse or assistant cannot sign the certificate. A birth certificate stating the woman has given birth to a child is sufficient.
- 14 years and younger may not marry.
- Valid identification for both parties to be married is required (driver's license or birth certificate or passport) providing full names, addresses and ages.
- Civil ceremonies are performed at the Ceremonial Room located at 7 W. Courtland Street, Bel Air, Maryland (across from the Circuit courthouse).
- There is a $25.00 non-refundable fee, payable by cash, money order, or credit cards before or at the time of the ceremony. (Wednesday Evening ceremonies – credit card payments only)
- Ceremonies must be scheduled in advance after application is made. Ceremonies will be performed between the hours of 9:00am to Noon and 1:00pm to 1:30pm. See below for additional times. To schedule a civil ceremony at the courthouse, please call 410-638-3489 or 410-638-3586. Guest limit of eight is strictly enforced. This number of guests includes the parties getting married and any children (regardless of age). Any additional guests will be asked to leave.
- Additional Times for Civil ceremonies – Third Wednesday of each month
- By Appointment only (To schedule call 410-638-3489 or 410-638-3586)
- Only accepting credit card payment for Ceremony fee
- Certified copies may not be available for 3 business days
- Marriage Record Correction - Correction to Marriage Records may be requested in writing along with supporting documentation (example - birth record). For convenience, a Correction Request Form can be completed and mailed to our office.
- Certified Copies – Only available for Harford County Marriage Records
- Certified copies may be requested in person, mail, email, fax or phone. Cost for certified copies are $5.50 each. Please complete the Request for Certified Copy of Marriage License. Acceptable forms of payments are cash, check, money order or credit card (Visa, Mastercard or Discover).
- In person requests are taken at 7 W. Courtland Street, Bel Air, MD 21014 (across from the Circuit Courthouse).
- Mail requests are sent to the Clerk of the Circuit Court for Harford County, Attn: Licensing Department, 20 W. Courtland Street, Bel Air, MD 21014.
- Email requests to email@example.com.
- Fax requests to 410-838-8540.
- Phone requests should be directed to 410-638-3489 or 410-638-3586.
- Information needed for all requests:
- Names of both parties
- Date of Marriage
- Check or money order made payable to Clerk of the Circuit Court or credit card information and authorization (cost of certified copies $5.50 each).
- Return address for mailing copies
For further information on obtaining a marriage license or questions about civil ceremonies, please call 410-638-3489 or 410-638-3586 or firstname.lastname@example.org.