Name Change

Filing for a name change?

A Petition for Change of Name is filed in a Circuit Court. All petitions require a notice and certificate of publication, and petitions for a change in name of a minor require additional forms for consent. The court will schedule a hearing if someone objects to the name change or if the court has any questions about your petition. If the name change raises no issues, a judge will sign a Decree for Change of Name.

See The People’s Law Library for more information on adult petitions for change of name, or petitions for change of name of a minor.