New Marriage Law Effective January 1, 2013: Pursuant to Chapter 2 of the Maryland Laws of 2012, Family Law Article Section 2-201 is amended to allow same-sex couples to marry effective January 1, 2013.
Telephone Number: 410-228-0480
Assistance in Spanish is available.
Marriage licenses can be obtained at the Clerk's Office located in the courthouse at 206 High Street in Cambridge. The application process takes about 15 minutes.
If you are not a resident of Dorchester County, AND it is not possible for you to visit the Clerk's Office, you may apply for a marriage license using a Non-Resident Application. Please contact this office for further instruction.
After application, the license is issued but does not become effective until 6:00 a.m. on the second calendar day. The license must be used within 6 months or the license will expire.
It is recommended that you contact the Circuit Court Clerk's Office in the county you plan to marry as each county has different fees. The requirements for Dorchester County are as follows:
- Only one of the parties needs to appear to apply for the marriage license.
- For information on valid marriages in Maryland please consult www.peoples-law.org.
- Both parties must be over 18 years of age. Forms of identification for each person:
driver's license, birth certificate or a passport. (Applicants 17 and younger are encouraged
to call prior to applying as there are additional requirements.)
- The fee is $35.00 - Cash, Check or Money Order
- Neither a blood test nor witnesses are required in Maryland.
The following Information is to be Provided For Both Parties
- Full Names
- State/Country of birth
- Social Security Numbers (mandatory). This information is required by State Law and will not be displayed on the marriage license.
- Relationship (if any)
- Marital Status
If Previously Married
- Divorced - the date and place of each judicial determination that ended any former marriage.
- Widowed - the date and place of each death that ended any former marriage.
- The application must be signed by the applicant(s) under oath indicating the truthfulness of the information under penalty of perjury.
Civil Ceremonies are performed at the Circuit Court for Dorchester County. The address is:
206 High Street, Cambridge, MD 21613.
Ceremonies are held BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.
The cost is $25.00 Cash, Check or Money Order - payable the day of the ceremony
Certified copies may be obtained from the Clerk's Office located at:
Dorchester County Circuit Court
206 High Street
Cambridge, MD 21613
You may request a certified copy by mail. Please include in your request:
- Date of Marriage
- Self addressed stamped envelope
- Check or Money Order
The cost for each certified copy is $5.50. The check or money order should be made payable to the Clerk, Circuit Court for Dorchester County.
For further information on obtaining a marriage license or civil ceremonies, please call 410-228-0480.