The records maintained by the Office of the Clerk of Court are available to the public for review. However, access to some records may be restricted. For more information, see Court Records. Court records can be searched on the Maryland Judiciary Web site.Search Court Records
The following is a partial list of the types of cases filed and processed by the Office of the Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Judicial Review of Administrative Agency Decisions
- Appeals from the District Court
- Matters which involve domestic relations including divorces, child support, and custody
- Matters which involve non-domestic issues including foreclosures, mechanics liens and injunctions
- Adoption and Paternity Matters
- Name changes
- Motor torts and other torts
- Felony and certain misdemeanor charges filed by the Grand Jury or the State's Attorney
- Appeals from the District Court and requests for jury trials
- Juvenile cases may include any matter brought before the Court which involve persons under the age of eighteen years.
Liens and Judgments
- Liens and judgments including encumbrances, Federal tax liens, hospital liens, Maryland tax liens, District Court liens, civil judgments, and United States District Court judgments are recorded in the Office of the Clerk.
- Citizens are selected randomly for service on grand and petit juries in the manner prescribed by the Court of Appeals. Jury trials are available only in the Circuit Courts of Maryland.
Public Official Commissions
- The Oaths of Office for elected and appointed local officials, as well as officials appointed by the Governor for certain boards and commissions, are administered by the Clerk.
The following is a partial list of documents recorded with the Clerk for permanent retention:
- Mortgages and Deeds of Trust
- Releases of Mortgages and Deeds of Trust
- Land Contracts
MDLandRec.Net (A joint e-government service of the Maryland Judiciary and the Maryland State Archives)
PLATS.NET (Maryland Archives Plat Imaging Application - access can be granted with the username: plato and the password: plato#)
- Financing Statements (prior to July 1, 1995)
- Military Discharges
- Federal Liens
- Marriage Licenses
- Civil Marriages
- Business Licenses
- Notary Public Commissions-An application for a notary public commission can be obtained by contacting the Secretary of State in Annapolis. Upon approval of this application, notary public commissions are issued by the Clerk.
Please be advised that the Office of the Clerk of the Circuit Court is prohibited by law from rendering legal advice and from performing title searches.