New Marriage Law Effective January 1, 2013: Pursuant to Chapter 2 of the Maryland Laws of 2012, Family Law Article Section 2-201 is amended to allow same-sex couples to marry effective January 1, 2013.
Assistance in Spanish is available and ceremonies can be conducted in Spanish.
How do I get a marriage license?
Maryland requires that a marriage license be obtained from the Circuit Court Clerk's Office in the county where the marriage is to take place.
Marriage licenses can be obtained at the Clerk's Office located in the courthouse at 30512 Prince William Street in Princess Anne. The application process takes about 15 minutes.
If neither party to be married is a resident of the county in which the ceremony will take place, Maryland law allows application for a marriage license to be made by mail as follows:
- Take the Non-Resident Marriage License Application-Affidavit form to the Clerk of Court or comparable official in the county in which you reside. Complete the form in the presence of that official, have that official sign at the appropriate place, and mail the form with a money order or cashier's check in the appropriate amount ($25.00 for a license from Somerset County), payable to Clerk of Court, to the Clerk of Circuit Court for the Maryland county in which you plan to be married.
After application, the license, which is not effective until 6:00 a.m. on the second calendar day, will be issued. (i.e. 48 hour waiting period) The license must be used within 6 months (you must marry within 6 months or the license will be void).
It is recommended that you contact the Circuit Court Clerk's Office in the county you plan to marry as each county has different fees. The requirements for Somerset County are as follows:
- Only one of the parties needs to appear to apply for the marriage license (unless using a Non-Resident Marriage Application to marry outside of Somerset County, then both parties must appear).
- Both parties must be over 18 years of age. Forms of identification for each person: driver's license, birth certificate or a passport (Applicants 17 and younger are required to call the License Department prior to applying.)
- The fee is $25.00 - CASH only
- Neither a blood test nor witnesses are required in Maryland.
The following information is to be provided for the Bride and the Groom:
- Full Names
- State/Country of birth
- Social Security Numbers (mandatory)
This information is required by State Law and will not be displayed on the marriage license.
- If previously married:
- Divorced: a copy of the divorce decree must be presented.
- Widowed: the day, month and year of the death, and the county and state in which the death occurred.
- The application must be signed by the applicant(s) under oath indicating the truthfulness of the information under penalty of perjury.
Civil Ceremonies are performed at the Circuit Court for Somerset County. The address is:
30512 Prince William Street, Princess Anne, MD 21853.
Ceremonies are held BY APPOINTMENT ONLY, and can be conducted in Spanish.
The cost is $25.00 CASH only - payable the day of the ceremony
Certified copies may be obtained from the Clerk's Office located at:
Somerset County Circuit Courthouse
30512 Prince William Street
Princess Anne, MD 21853
You may request a certified copy by mail. Please include in your request:
- Date of Marriage
- Self addressed stamped envelope
- Check or Money Order
The cost for each certified copy is $5.50. The check or money order should be made payable to the Clerk, Circuit Court for Somerset County.
For further information on obtaining a marriage license or civil ceremonies, please call 410-845-4840.